Dr Patrick Bitature Accredited with the Uganda Resposnible Investment Mark of Excellence as the 2021 Social Investment Champion
Published by Public Opinions
SOCIAL INVESTMENT CHAMPION OF THE YEAR 2020/2021
Dr Patrick Bitature is a recipient of the Uganda Responsible Investment Mark of Excellence Award as the 2020/2021 Uganda Social Investment Champion. Offered to him on 31st March 2021 by Public Opinions at a Ceremony presided over by H.E Massimilliano Mazzanti Ambassador of Italy to Uganda.
Patrick Bitature is the Chairman of Simba Group of companies. In 1998, he and his wife started Simba Telecom Limited. The company became a franchisee of MTN Uganda, which had just opened in the country. Since then, Simba Telecom has grown into the largest seller of MTN airtime in Uganda. Over the years, he has formed other companies, to form the Simba Group of Companies, with subsidiaries in Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania. He also serves on many Boards in Uganda and is an active philanthropist. He is a graduate of the London School of Accountancy. He is the owner of Protea Hotels East Africa.
Patrick Bitature was born on May 10th, 1960, in Fort Portal, Kabarole District in the Western Region of Uganda. He was the first born in a middle-class family, where his father worked within the East African Community. When Patrick was 13 years old, his father was murdered during the Idi Amin regime. He then became the bread winner, first trading in sugar, bringing it from Kenya to areas of Uganda where it could not be found.
Patrick Bitature attended Namasagali College in Kamuli District for his O-Level education. While there, he was mentored by Father Damien Grimes. He later attended Nyakasura School in Fort Portal, Kabarole District for his A-Level education. He then studied at the London School of Accountancy in the United Kingdom, going on to join the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators. . He then joined the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators. He holds the rank of fellow of the institute. In 2013, he was awarded an honorary doctorate degree by the United Graduate College and Seminary International, based in Asheville, North Carolina.
Subsidiaries of the Simba Group of Companies in the group include the following:
- Simba Telecoms Limited
- Kampala Protea Hotel
- Eletromaxx Limited – Owner-operator of the 70 megawatt Tororo Thermal Power Station
- Simba Mining Limited
- Simba Dairy Farm
- Tororo Solar Power Station
- Protea Hotel Kampala Marriott Skyz
- Chairman Private Sector of Uganda (PSFU)
- Chairman Board of Directors UMEME
- Director CURE Children’s Hospital
- Patron of the Alliance of Mayors and Municipal leaders on HIV & Aids in Africa
- YUNUS Social Business Ambassador for Uganda)
- Honorary Consul for Australia
- Founder of Patrick & Carol Bitature Foundation
- Global GOALS Ambassador for Goal 8 on Good Jobs & Economic Growth
- Chairman of the Nyakasura School Alumni
- Board member Divestiture Reform Investment Committee
- Founder & Board Member MUBS Entrepreneurship club
- Member of the Harvard Kennedy School Dean’s Council
- Presidential Investment Roundtable
- Director of Ndejje Juu Aviation Company
- Board Member of the Father Grimes Foundation