Engoru Mutebi Advocates was ranked by Public Opinions on the 2020 Uganda Top 70 Law Firms and accredited in the Uganda TOP70 Law Firms Book of Records. The Firm is a Recipient/Winner of the Uganda Responsible Investment Mark of Excellence Award. Voted by the people of Uganda and Recognized by Public Opinions with a Certificate of Excellence in appreciation of its continuous commitment to Legal Excellence, Integrity and honesty, Reliability, trustworthiness, transparency, fairness, ProBono, Professional Development as well as commitment to contribute to the attainment of Uganda Vision 2040 and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs).Many private sector companies have not yet committed themselves to work towards attainment of Uganda Vision 2040 and UN SDGs.The Firm was issued with a Certificate of Accreditation by Public Opinions and its profile published in the 2020 Uganda TOP70 Law Firms Book of Records. Public Opinions is the leading field based organization working towards attainment of Uganda Vision 2040 and United Nations Sustainable Development Goals through Public Relations, Public Awareness, Information Dissemination, Corporate Printing and Branding, Training and mentorship, Investment Advisory,etc. Learn more about Public Opinions by visiting our website www.publicopinions.net, Call/Whatsapp:+256701992426/0782479124. Here after is the profile of the Law Firm.
Engoru Mutebi Advocates is a full service Uganda law firm and has firmly established itself as a leader in banking and finance, legal, regulatory and compliance matters, capital markets, power, project development, transport, employment law, telecommunications, litigation and general advice to local and international clients including NGOs, and corporate as well as project finance transactional advice.
Our Partners boast of over 60 years of combined legal work experience and stellar academic and professional qualifications from leading Ugandan and international Universities.
The firm has a team of multi-talented lawyers who have amassed specialized training in their fields of expertise, which expertise has been recognized by leading directories like IFLR 1000 and Legal 500 EMEA amongst. The Firm has developed a web of relationships with leading International firms and is able to service clients across a wide range of frontiers.
Our clients are private and public companies in Uganda and abroad, local and international banks, development finance agencies and non – governmental agencies in sectors in Uganda. The Firm’s objective is to provide high quality legal and commercial advice through an efficiently managed professional practice that will facilitate our client’s business dealings in Uganda and elsewhere in the East Africa Region.
Engoru, Mutebi Advocates has also built linkages with international law firms in the United Kingdom, United States of America, France, the United Arab Emirates, South Africa, Kenya and Tanzania and will continue breaking into new frontiers.
The Firm is founded on values of pro-activeness, pragmatism and integrity. As a firm, we strive to be an integral part of our clients’ business by providing practical advice that is suited to meet each client’s needs in a timely and efficient manner. This is enabled by the fact that the firm has a team of 5 (Five) Partners with combined experience of over forty (40) years and have amassed specialized training in their fields of expertise from recognized institutions both in Uganda and the United Kingdom.
We are recognized as a leading law firm in corporate and commercial law in Uganda. We have been involved in some of the largest and most complex deals in corporate mergers and acquisitions in Uganda and the region generally. Our M&A and Joint Venture team has developed a broad vision of the issues that confront business organizations and an aptitude for developing novel, creative and constructive solutions in relation to mergers and acquisitions
Offering an extensive service in all commercial contracts in a regulatory environment, the team interfaces extensively with our firm’s specialist industry and business teams. By combining financial, taxation, competition, regulatory and employment law expertise, the firm has become known for its value-generating role in corporate restructuring and commercial contracts.
The employment law aspects of such transactions are highlighted immediately and as such mitigating any labour related risks. Our corporate and commercial practice also advises the full spectrum of companies like SME’s and start – up’s.
Competition law issues arising in M&A transactions are more often than not deal breaking and any such. Achieving competition clearances in significant cases may call for complex and high profile dialogue with competition regulators within tight timetables
We have acted as legal counsel for acquirers and target companies, advising on legal, regulatory and tax aspects of complex multi-jurisdictional transactions. Our expertise in mergers and acquisitions as well as capital market transactions has won us accolades, including citations and ranking in leading legal directories like Legal 500 EMEA and IFLR1000.
Our specialty services include:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Schemes of arrangement
- Corporate restructuring
- Management buy-outs
- Company sales and purchase
- Due diligence investigations
- The statutory and regulatory environment affecting listed public and other companies
- The duties and responsibilities of directors and their officers.
Our willingness and ability to understand our clients’ businesses and the markets where they operate, coupled with our considerable expertise in putting a client’s case to the authorities, sets us apart
- We were local Counsel to Platinum Equity on its US$ 2BN acquisition of Johnson & Johnson’s blood monitoring glucose business by Platinum Equity providing regulatory and transactional advice; competition advice, employment advice
- Acted as Ugandan Counsel to Dyer and Blair Investment Bank on its proposed disposal of its retail business in Uganda to another regulated entity which included regulatory and corporate advice, tax and employment; capital markets advice.
- We are advicing a leading international food services and facilities management company and a Ugandan company oni its Joint Venture arrangments with respect to the Tilenga project which advice included Joint venture documentation, regulatory compliance, and local content advice.
- We acted for Schlumberger Oilfield on its contractual obligations and liability under a Joint Venture arrangement with a company operating in Uganda and South Sudan.
- Acted as legal adviser to FACTS East Africa BV, a leading supply chain finance company on its corporate re – organization by way of a group transfer of shares, issuances of additional shares and subsequent debt – equity conversions with respect to existing shareholder loans. We also advised on the corporate re –alignment of the subsidiary operations with the Holdco which included tax advice to ensure minimum tax exposure.
- Represented Abraaj on its tax liability on cash payments with respect to its set – up of a credit fund for Africa.
- We represented Uganda Securities Exchange on its proposed set – up of a Small Medium Enterprise “SME” focused fund. Our advice entailed regulatory, corporate and tax advice including advice on the domicile of the fund i.e. onshore or offshore for tax efficiency purposes.
- Represented a Healthcare focused private equity fund on its equity investment into a leading Uganda private hospital group.
- Acted as legal advisor to Chemiphar Uganda Limited, a leading international “Belac” credited laboratory on an equity investment by Pearl Capital Partners through its Yield Fund and Abi Trust Fund
- Acted as legal advisors to Zoctu, a leading e – commerce and logistics provider on a proposed equity investment by a strategic partner domiciled in Mauritius.
- Acted for a leading Private Hospital in Uganda on a sharia compliant financing from a fund based in the United Arab Emirates.
Engoru, Mutebi is noted for its market leading projects, infrastructure and energy practice were it regularly acts for major entities across all areas of the energy industry, upstream projects, Greenfield and brownfield projects, public private partnerships, renewable projects. Our projects and infrastructure team collaborates with the environmental and land departments within the firm to provide holistic advice to our clients.
We possess local knowledge required to support clients in the sector to identify, analyse, negotiate and document legal and financing structures for the development, financing, acquisition, delivery, commissioning and operation of infrastructure projects.
We have advised on a number of projects in the energy, mining, transport and construction sectors. Our projects and infrastructure team has a detailed knowledge and understanding of the local regulatory environment in the key areas of legal and regulatory compliance, parliamentary and administrative approvals, environment and safety, licensing and permitting, procurement considerations, land rights and land use, land acquisition and compensation, insolvency and taking of security, government guarantees, foreign exchange and profit repatriation, taxation, choice of law and forum, sovereign immunity, enforceability of foreign civil and arbitral awards in Uganda and labour law constraints.
Our areas of specialization in this field cover:
- Project Finance
- Energy Company and Project M&A
- Tax planning in relation to infrastructure project financing
- Project, Infrastructure and Energy Regulatory, Licensing and Permitting
- Restructuring and deregulation
- Planning, development, environmental and regulatory
- Procurement, competition law, employment, law, property/real estate law, social investment policies, governing and dispute resolution and health and safety
- Negotiating project specific documents including concession agreements under public – private partnerships, power purchase agreements, O & M contracts, EPC contracts, interface contracts, licensing agreements, distribution/transmission agreements
- Acquisition and disposal of assets and entities
- Advising on the financing and refinancing of projects consisting of the negotiation of all financing agreements including security structures and instruments, and carbon trading matters.
- Acting for Tritente Global Energy Group on its proposed development of a 100MW solar IPP project in Uganda including negotiating with the Uganda Electricity Generation Company in respect of the proposed Power Purchase Agreements and associated agreements.
- Advising a project sponsor of 100MW Geothermal power project on its development including all negotiations with Uganda Electricity Transmission Company, Uganda Electricity Generation Company, Electricity Regulatory Authority in respect of the Power Purchase Agreement, Generation License and associated project and finance agreements.
- Advised Mahathi Infra Services PVT Limited on the development of transportation routes for petroleum products by way of barges over lake Victoria
- Advised aleading French concessions and construction company on the legal and regulatory aspects pertinent to the development of the 78KM Kampala – Jinja Expressway PPP project
- Advising a Chinese consortium on the entire tender process for the 78KM US$ 1.1BN Kampala – Jinja Expressway PPP Project including negotiations with the UNRA, reviewing the proposed PPP Agreement, the O&M contracts, financing documents, advising on regulatory and land matters, corporate and shareholder matters relating to the project company.
- Advised Sindila Hydropower Company on the environmental and resultant disputes that arose during the development of the Sindila 1 and Sindila 2 Hydro power projects.
- Acting for Lagan Civil works and Construction Company on the development and project financing aspects of the proposed construction of US$ 144,000,000.00 Contractor facilitated road development project.
- Acting for a consortium comprised of a leading multi-national utility company which operates largely in the water treatment and waste treatment and an international civil construction, public works, port operations, waste, water and logistics company on its pre - contractual arrangement and tender
- preparation for the proposed Waste Management PPP under the auspices of the city municipal authority.
- The Firm has advised the World Bank through its Long Term Finance Division on the tax and regulatory regime for the establishment of an infrastructure debt fund for local institutional investors to finance infrastructure projects.
- The Firm has rendered advice to the Islamic Development Bank on the entire regulatory regime for the issuance of sovereign debt issuances by the Government of Uganda.
- The Firm is currently advising a leading international bank on a EUR258 Million EKN (Swedish Export Credit Agency) supported term loan facility and a tied commercial term loan facility to the Government of Uganda through the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development.
- The Firm is currently supporting Platinum Equity on the Ugandan aspects of its US 2.1BN acquisition of “Life Scan”, a leader in blood glucose monitoring products from, Johnson & Johnson’s.
- The Firm acted for China Chongqing International Construction Company, a construction company wholly owned by the Government of China on a UGX 24,000,000,000 dispute with Uganda National Roads Authority relating to the validity of a sub – contract that was executed under a civil works project.
- The Firm has advised Schlumberger Oilfield Eastern on the contractual and liability issues with respect to joint venture operations in Uganda and South Sudan.
- The Firm has advised JC Decaux Group on the Ugandan aspects of the global review of its employment policy and compliance manual.
- The Firm has also taken instructions from Distribution Now Inc. “DNOW” to advise on the regulatory, licensing, corporate, tax and local content requirements with respect to its proposed market entry and participation in the Tilenga project being operated by Total E & P Uganda BV.
- The Firm has also recently advised Dyer and Blair Investment Bank Limited, on the proposed sale and transfer of its retail business to another licensed brokerage firm in Uganda.
- The Firm has also acted for ZF Friedrichchafen AG, a leading global automotive supplier and industry technology provider on the Ugandan aspects of the global review of its internal compliance policy
- The Firm has successfully represented Butama Hydropower Electricity Company Limited on environmental dispute with respect to the construction of the of Sindila 1 & 2 Hydropower projects in Uganda.
- The Firm has also instructed by Sindila Hydropower company in relation to criminal charges against the company and its employees relating to actions during the construction of hydropower dam in Uganda.
ARNOLD LULE SEKIWANO-PARTNER
Engoru Mutebi Advocates
Ground Floor, Rwenzori House,
1 Lumumba Avenue,
P.O. Box 22510, Kampala.
Tel: + 256 (0) 775 047 772
Tel: + 256 (0) 778 314 777
Office: + 256 (0) 414 231 393
+ 256 (0) 414 231 394
LIST OF THE 2020 UGANDA TOP70 LAW FIRMS ACCREDITED BY PUBLIC OPINIONS AND ASIA AFRICA DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL,NEW DELHI INDIA (ADCO).
- A.Mwebesa Kakooza & Co. Advocates
- ABMARK ASSOCIATES
- Agaba Muhairwe & Co. Advocates
- Amber Advocates and Solicitors
- Angualia Busiku & Co. Advocates
- Apio, Byabazaire, Musanase & Co. Advocates (ABM)
- Arcadia Advocates
- Balondemu & Co. Advocates
- Bashasha & Co. Advocates
- Birungyi, Barata & Associates
- Blair & Co. Advocates
- BNB Advocates
- Buwembo and Company Advocates
- Buwule & Mayiga Advocates
- Byenkya, Kihika & Co. Advocates
- Capital Law Partners and Advocates
- Crane Associated Advocates (CAA)
- Cristal Advocates
- Cymbell Advocates
- Dentons Uganda
- Engoru Mutebi Advocates
- Fides Legal Advocates
- Galisonga & Co Advocates
- GEM Advocates
- Greystone Advocates
- K&K Advocates
- Kaddu & Partners Advocates
- Kafeero & Co. Advocates
- Kaganzi & Co. Advocates
- Kaggwa and Kaggwa Advocates
- Kakuru & Co. Advocates
- Kalikumutima and Co. Advocates
- Kampala Associated Advocates (KAA)
- Kasirye Byaruhanga & Co Advocates
- Kateera & Kagumire Advocates
- Katende, Sempebwa & Co Advocates
- Kibeedi & Co Advocates
- KSMO Advocates
- KTA Advocates
- Lex Uganda Advocates & Solicitors
- Ligomarc Advocates
- Lumonya, Bushara & Co. Advocates
- Magezi, Ibale & Co. Advocates
- MMAKS Advocates
- Mugalula & Omalla Advocates
- Muhumuza-Kiiza Advocates & Legal Consultants
- Mukumbya Musoke Advocates
- Mulindwa Associates & Co. Advocates
- Musangala Advocates & Solicitors
- Musangala Advocates & Solicitors
- Muwema & Co. Advocates
- Nambale, Nerima & Co. Advocates & Legal Consultants
- Nambogo & Co. Advocates
- Newmark Advocates
- Onyango Advocates
- Orima & CO Advocates
- Ortus Africa
- OS Kagere Advocates
- OSH Advocates, Solicitors and Legal Consultants
- Pace Advocates
- Sebalu & Lule Advocates
- Shonubi, Musoke & Co. Advocates
- Signum Advocates
- SIPIL LAW Associates
- The Uganda Association of Women Lawyers (FIDA-Uganda)
- Tibugwisa and Co. Advocates
- Tropical Law Advocates
- Twinobusingye Severino & Co. Advocates
- Walusimbi Advocates
- WEB Advocates & Solicitors
Ranked and accredited by:
5th Floor, Room 7
Opposite City Hall KCCA